
Lewis Hamilton dismisses cost cap penalty as supreme Red Bull return to Austria
For all the success garnered over the last two years, an asterisk has accompanied the Red Bull route to Formula 1 domination. In 2021, Max Verstappen’s dramatic title triumph was shrouded in controversy after the Abu Dhabi fiasco. Last year, their mightily impressive double title glory was overshadowed by breaching the inaugural F1 cost cap. This season, entering race nine back at base at the Red Bull Ring this weekend with Verstappen holding a 69-point lead in the championship – and even that is from his team-mate Sergio Perez – there does not look set to be such a dark cloud forming this time. The RB19 is perhaps Adrian Newey’s greatest achievement yet. Verstappen’s confidence is at an all-time high, to the extent he joked in real time about a slightly misjudged approach to the kerb in Canada where George Russell had earlier crashed. And when the Dutchman has a rare off-day, perhaps in qualifying, invariably Sergio Perez is there to pick up the first-place trophy instead. Christian Horner’s team are a pristine, well-oiled machine. They claimed their 100th win in F1 last time out in Montreal. Yet Lewis Hamilton, seven times a world champion scampering desperately with the other 17 drivers on the grid playing catch-up, is willing to discuss the elephant in the room. “The [cost cap] penalty didn’t cost them anything,” Hamilton said, ahead of this weekend’s sprint weekend in Austria. “It definitely, definitely didn’t. It was so small.” Red Bull were fined £6m and docked 10% of their car development time for their £1.8m overspend, impacting their wind-tunnel runs and simulations. As emphatic as Hamilton’s assessment is, and many will argue it has a certain degree of accuracy given the scale of Red Bull’s success, the Mercedes man went further as he looks to give himself a fighting chance of a record-breaking eighth title in the not-so-distant future. "I think the FIA should probably put a time when everyone is allowed to start developing on next year’s car,” he added, referring to Red Bull no longer focusing on their 2023 car such is their current advantage and instead shifting emphasis to 2024. “Say August 1, that’s where everybody can start so that no one can get an advantage on the next year, cause that sucks. "It would make more sense. They should. Say for example you start the season and you know you have a bad car, you can just say I’m not going to bother developing this car and put all this money into next year’s car and have an advantage." The notion that the FIA should change the regulations as a result of Red Bull’s domination has been regularly concocted in recent weeks, whether it be across the paddock or on social media. Short memories, it seems. For Red Bull’s current all-out supremacy, think Michael Schumacher’s five-in-a-row with Ferrari at the start of the noughties. Think Lewis Hamilton’s six victories in seven years with Mercedes. Think Sebastian Vettel’s four on the bounce back at Red Bull to kick off the 2010s. Periods of domination are commonplace in F1. A framework is set in place; regulations set in stone years in advance. These must remain. A sudden alteration of various rules, now, would be simply unfair and unsporting. Despite that, talk of a perfect 22/22 this season is being swiftly dismissed by Red Bull. The runaway leaders are not getting carried away yet. “At a sprint weekend, so many things can go wrong,” said a typically level-headed Verstappen on Thursday. His team-mate Perez was absent, due to illness, but is expected to be fit to drive on Friday. While the second of six sprint weekends this season takes place in Spielberg – with qualifying for the grand prix on Friday before “sprint day” on Saturday – could ruffle feathers, Red Bull are massive favourites to take their ninth-straight win of the year at their home track. Ferrari did win in Austria last year, but have not won since. Mercedes are on a slow road back to the top-tier, with a bigger upgrade due next week at Silverstone. If any team is to challenge Red Bull, therefore, it could well be Aston Martin – and their imperious 41-year-old double world champion Fernando Alonso. Read More Are Red Bull now the most successful F1 team ever – and how long can this dominance last? Toto Wolff optimistic as Mercedes target improvement at Austrian Grand Prix Sergio Perez misses media day at the Austrian Grand Prix Sergio Perez misses media day at the Austrian Grand Prix Toto Wolff optimistic as Mercedes target improvement at Austrian Grand Prix What is a sprint race in F1 and how does new qualifying shootout work?
2023-06-29 23:47

The Daiquiri Cocktail – First Mixed with BACARDÍ® Rum – Celebrates 125 Years
HAMILTON, Bermuda--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jul 19, 2023--
2023-07-19 19:22

Your Fingerprints Might Change the Color of Your iPhone 15 Pro
You might change the color of your iPhone 15 simply by holding it. In a
2023-09-24 05:24

Learn to create game art with this heavily discounted Blender bundle
TL;DR: The 2023 Complete Blender Bundle is on sale for £27.92, saving you 85% on
2023-06-06 12:27

Target will square off against Amazon Prime Day with a new Circle Week sale in July
UPDATE: Jun. 28, 2023, 5:00 a.m. EDT This story has been updated. Target is ramping
2023-06-28 17:46

Kate Middleton and Princess Charlotte wear matching ruffles for eight-year-old’s first Wimbledon
Kate Middleton dressed Princess Charlotte as a mini version of herself for the eight-year-old’s first time attending Wimbledon. The Prince and Princess of Wales made a family visit on Sunday 16 July, to watch the men’s Singles Final between Novak Djokovic from Serbia and Carlos Alcaraz from Spain. Princess Charlotte and Prince George, nine, the couple’s two eldest children, accompanied their parents to the prized match for their first appearance at the tournament this year. While Prince George was able to attend Wimbledon last year, Princess Charlotte had never been until this past weekend. To match her mother’s style, the princess donned a blue and white floral dress adorned with ruffle sleeves designed by the Spanish brand Friki. Meanwhile, Kate stunned in a Roland Mouret emerald green mid-calf dress with ruffle detailing along the neckline. The patron of the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) continued her green streak from her previous two appearances this year, when she wore a structured Balmain jacket and a Self-Portrait belted short-sleeve dress. On Sunday with her family, Kate accessorised with a bow pinned to her chest in Wimbledon colours. Rather than representing a variety of green shades, Prince William and his children wore a range of blue instead. The 41-year-old father layered a gray suit jacket over a light blue shirt and matching navy tie and trousers. Prince George showed up in a navy blue suit similar to the one he wore last year, which sparked concern at the time. According to a report in People from 2022, the couple’s eldest son told his father he was “too hot” in his outfit not long after they arrived at the men’s finals in the 84F weather. Despite the high temperature, Prince George’s attire was in accordance with the renowned tennis tournament’s dress code. According to the Wimbledon website, all men sitting in the Royal Box at Centre Court must don “suits/jacket and tie.” A picture of the nine-year-old son exposed him overheating in his long-sleeve outfit with his hand on his forehead. He appeared to be wiping away sweat before his mom was caught checking his temperature with her hand on his face. Though the heat made it difficult to watch the match in formalwear, Prince George had already been required to follow the suit codes for several other events. That same year, the heat prompted the tournament to adjust their attire requirements in the Royal Box for the women’s final. Usually, large hats aren’t allowed in the private section because they could block other people’s views. However, because the temperature was so high and the sun was beating down, women were allowed to wear the large accessory to stay cool. Read More Novak Djokovic fined 8,000 US dollars for ‘racket abuse’ in Wimbledon final Kate Middleton returns to Wimbledon for ladies’ singles wearing pale green outfit Kate Middleton consoles heartbroken Ons Jabeur after Wimbledon loss
2023-07-18 01:49

Lando Norris angry at penalty which cost him points in Canada: ‘It does not make sense’
Lando Norris was left perplexed at the penalty which cost him points at the Canadian Grand Prix. The McLaren driver, who started seventh on the grid, was grappling for positions towards the bottom of the top-10 throughout the race which was won by Max Verstappen. However, his efforts were scuppered by a five-second time penalty dished out by the stewards for “unsportsmanlike conduct.” The penalty was later explained to be for Norris driving too slowly during the safety car period, in order for his McLaren team to “double-stack” Oscar Piastri and Norris in the pit-window without delay. “It doesn’t make sense to me,” Norris said, when asked about the penalty after the race, which dropped him from ninth at the chequered flag to outside the points in 13th. “I was three or four seconds down… I’m quite surprised. The rest of the race I was very happy with. There were some fun overtakes. “Everyone leaves gaps [in safety car period]. It’s not like I was 10 seconds down on my delta. If it’s a delta-difference, people should be given penalties for the last three or four years.” Despite missing out on two points, Norris admitted he enjoyed vying for positions throughout the race, including a thrilling last-lap battle with Alpine’s Esteban Ocon. “It was always about making the most of one opportunity I had,” he added. “It was a struggle, nothing was easy. Tough race, still managed to fight through which was nice. “The pace was a bit better than the last few weekends. Hopefully we can take some step forwards next time out.” Norris is currently 11th in the championship standings on 12 points, seven clear of team-mate Piastri. McLaren’s scoreless race in Montreal means the team still haven’t picked up points in Canada since 2014 – a streak of seven Canadian GP races without a top-10 finish. Read More Red Bull mastermind Adrian Newey hints at retirement: ‘It’s on a countdown’ Lewis Hamilton ‘excited’ to share Canada podium with two world champions Max Verstappen wins Canadian Grand Prix to match F1 legend in race wins ‘It’s on a countdown’: Red Bull mastermind Adrian Newey hints at retirement F1 Canadian Grand Prix LIVE: Race updates and lap times from Montreal Lewis Hamilton fastest as practice for Canadian GP finally starts
2023-06-19 05:47

Mexico City Mayor Sheinbaum to Step Down Ahead of 2024 Elections
Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum will resign from her post on June 16 to start her presidential campaign
2023-06-13 04:24

How to watch the Indian Super League online for free
The Indian sporting scene isn't all about cricket. There is life beyond the boundary, and
2023-09-22 12:23

Jack in the Box just opened a temporary Snoop Dogg themed restaurant in California
Jack in the Box announced it opened a pop-up restaurant themed after fellow California legend Snoop Dogg -- and no, gin and juice will not be on the menu.
2023-07-02 00:18

Ken Loach's 'The Old Oak' trailer explores politics and compassion in modern England
Ken Loach, the acclaimed director known for creating socially conscious and politically charged films, is
2023-07-04 18:25

Graphics vs. Frame Rates on Consoles: Which Game Mode Should You Pick?
The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S come stacked with several exciting and powerful features,
2023-07-22 20:59
You Might Like...

Your Horoscope This Week: May 21 to 27, 2023

How to Work the `Quiet Luxury’ Trend Into Your Office Attire

It's time to bring back 'Trial and Error'

Hamas war sparks renewed sense of unity among Israelis

Scott Ward Returns to Compucom, Named Chief Business Officer

Hershey sweetens annual profit forecast even as demand wavers

Stock up on all your home needs at Amazon with $15 in credit when you spend $50

Acai berry craze: boon or threat for the Amazon?