
Trump takes credit for overturning of Roe v Wade while raising questions about DeSantis’ six-week ban
Former president Donald Trump is taking credit for the US Supreme Court overturning Roe v Wade last year by claiming he nominated the justices who did not agree with the 1973 precedent. On Tuesday night’s episode of Rob Schmitt Tonight on Newsmax, Mr Trump compared his action against abortion to Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’, saying he has done more for pro-life people. “First of all, I’m the one that got rid of Roe v. Wade and everybody said that was an impossible thing to do,” Mr Trump boasted. Mr DeSantis recently signed into law a six-week ban that prevents anyone from seeking an abortion after six weeks of gestation, with the exception of cases where ending a pregnancy would save the mother’s life. As of now, Florida allows abortions for pregnancies involving rape or incept until 15 weeks of gestation, so long as the mother can provide documentation such as a restraining order or police report. But despite Florida’s harsh move to restrict abortion access, Mr Trump believes he should be receiving more credit for the work he’s done. “What I’ve done is given the pro-life people, who are wonderful people and loving people, I’ve given them the power of negotiation. Because now they’re able to negotiate something that is going to be very important,” Mr Trump said. During his presidential term, Mr Trump nominated three Justices to the Supreme Court - Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett. All three Justices joined the majority opinion of Dobbs v Jackson last summer to help overturn Roe v Wade as well as Planned Parenthood v Casey. This returned the legality of abortions to each state individually. As of May 2023, 19 states have banned abortions either fully or restricted until a certain week of gestation, including Florida. “DeSantis, or Ron Desanctimonious as I call him, he came out with the six weeks — other people agree with and a lot of people don’t,” Mr Trump said. The former president used Mr DeSantis’ recent ban to highlight how unpopular he is with female voters — indicating the ban is too restrictive. “Ron, if you take a look, he’s losing women voters like crazy,” Mr Trump said before citing several news stories about Mr DeSantis’ unpopularity with women. The former president has been comparing himself positively to Mr DeSantis in the last few months as rumours are swirling that Mr DeSantis is preparing to announce his bid for Republican presidential candidate. “I don’t do it for the women, for the men, I do what’s right,” Mr Trump added. It is thought that Mr DeSantis could be a leading contender for Republicans, making him a possible threat to Mr Trump’s campaign. As of recently, any opportunity Mr Trump has to criticise Mr DeSantis, he takes it — as evidenced by the Newsmax interview. Mr Trump both credited himself with overturning Roe v Wade while asserting that Mr DeSantis was unpopular with women due to Florida’s six-week ban. Mr Trump has changed his opinion on abortion throughout his life. In the 1990s the former president claimed he was pro-choice but by 2015 he told reporters he was pro-life. In 2016, Mr Trump said he would have “preferred” if abortion were up to the States but accepted the federal law. After implementing the three Justices who overturned Roe v Wade last year, Mr Trump took credit for the decision. But since then, the former president has never made it clear at what point in gestation abortions should be illegal. Read More DeSantis reacts to Trump implying Florida abortion ban is ‘too harsh’ as 2024 fight heats up Abortion after 12 weeks banned in North Carolina after GOP lawmakers override governor’s veto Abortion pill case moves to appeals court, on track for Supreme Court Ivanka and Jared split over attending Trump 2024 launch – follow live Why was Donald Trump impeached twice during his first term? Four big lies Trump told during his 2024 presidential announcement
2023-05-17 22:58

Now You Can Block Instagram From Tracking Your Web Activity
Meta has rolled out a new way to control how Instagram tracks your web activity.
2023-10-22 03:59

UK shoppers boost spending again despite inflation's squeeze
LONDON British retail sales unexpectedly rose in May from April, suggesting most consumers were coping with high inflation's
2023-06-23 14:26

Elon Musk says Tesla might achieve fully autonomous driving 'later this year'
It's easy to forget amidst the Twitter/Threads drama, but Elon Musk is still CEO of
2023-07-07 16:26

Lindsay Lohan looks gorgeous in behind-the-scenes sneak peek of skincare ad campaign
Lindsay Lohan wore pink monochromatic makeup and complemented the look with fluttering eyelashes
2023-05-23 01:18

NYT Connections today: See hints and answers for October 4
Connections is the latest New York Times word game that's captured the public's attention. The
2023-10-04 10:15

Amy Schumer says she stopped taking Ozempic because of side-effects
Amy Schumer has opened up about the reason why she stopped taking Ozempic, as she urged celebrities to be honest about their weight loss. The 43-year-old actor and comedian appeared on Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen on Thursday (8 June), where she revealed that tried taking the type 2 diabetes drug Ozempic for weight loss last year. “Like a year ago, I tried it,” she told Cohen, before admitting that she stopped taking the FDA-approved medication because of its side effects. “I was one of those people that felt so sick and couldn’t play with my son,” Schumer explained, referring to her four-year-old son Gene, who she shares with husband Chris Fischer. “I was so skinny and he’s throwing a ball at me and [I couldn’t].” Although the Trainwreck star admitted that she was “immediately invested” before trying the drug, she ultimately decided that Ozempic wasn’t “livable” for her. However, Schumer did take a moment to call out celebrities who have been “lying” about taking the once-weekly antidiabetic injection for weight loss. “Everyone’s like: ‘Smaller portions,’” she joked. “Shut the f*** up. You’re on Ozempic, or one of those things.” Much like Ozempic, FDA-approved medications Wegovy and Mounjaro are also brand names for semaglutide – which work by mimicking a hormone that regulates appetite and creates the feeling of fullness. “Just stop,” Schumer added. “Just be real with the people.” The Inside Amy Schumer star even noted how she was open about undergoing liposuction for weight loss in January 2022. “When I got lipo, I was like, I got lipo,” she said. Ozempic, a once-weekly injection used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, has skyrocketed in use after people were reportedly prescribed the diabetes medication as an “off-label” weight loss drug. Meanwhile, Wegovy and Mounjaro are once-weekly semaglutide injections specifically approved for the treatment of obesity and weight loss. There are many side effects of taking medications like Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro. According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the most common side effects of taking Wegovy include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain, headache, fatigue, indigestion, dizziness, and digestive disorders. The FDA has also warned against more serious complications that can occur from using Wegovy or Mounjaro, such as the “potential risk of thyroid C-cell tumours,” pancreatitis, gallbladder problems, acute kidney injury, increased heart rate, and suicidal behaviour or thinking. Meanwhile, taking Ozempic can lead to possible thyroid tumours, including cancer, pancreatitis, changes in vision, and kidney and gallbladder problems. Amy Schumer isn’t the only celebrity to open up about taking certain medications for weight loss. Comedian Chelsea Handler previously revealed that she “didn’t know” she was on Ozempic because her doctor allegedly “hands it out to anybody”. During an appearance on Alex Cooper’s Call Her Daddy podcast in January, the Chelsea Lately star spoke candidly about the alleged widespread use of Ozempic in Hollywood and her concerns over its popularity. “So, my anti-ageing doctor just hands it out to anybody,” Handler claimed. “I didn’t even know I was on it. She said: ‘If you ever want to drop five pounds, this is good.’” She said she realised she was taking the type 2 diabetes drug for weight loss after feeling nauseous while at lunch with a friend, who was also on Ozempic. When her friend asked if Handler was taking the medication, which the comedian referred to as “semaglutide” during their conversation, her friend informed her Ozempic was simply a brand name for semaglutide. However, Handler said she stopped taking the medication after she realised what it was. “I’m not on it anymore. That’s too irresponsible,” she shared. “I’m an irresponsible drug user, but I’m not gonna take a diabetic drug. I tried it, and I’m not gonna do that. That’s not for me. That’s not right for me.” Read More Shapewear is booming, and body image experts are worried: ‘It’s really dangerous’ OnlyFans model Elle Brooke praised for ‘perfect’ response to Piers Morgan’s concerns about her career Prince Andrew ‘staying in Royal Lodge amid renovations in case he is evicted’ STI cases at record highs: 6 things everyone needs to know about sexually transmitted infections Men’s Health Week: How to talk about sensitive or ’embarrassing’ health issues Jonnie Irwin explains why he hasn’t told his sons about his terminal cancer
2023-06-12 17:57

‘It was hell on earth’: British tourists describe fleeing for their lives from Rhodes wildfire
A mother who says she experienced “hell on earth” was among the British tourists forced to flee Rhodes this weekend as fierce wildfires continue to rip through the Greek holiday island. Officials on the island, which sits southwest of Turkey in the Aegean Sea, launched Greece’s biggest-ever evacuation operation as the blaze tore through vast swathes of land, threatening resorts popular with holidaymakers. Tourists were forced to shelter in schools, sports stadiums, airports and alternative hotels as firefighters desperately fought to contain the flames, which officials fear may worsen on Monday as wind speeds more than double on the island. As Britons rushed to book seats on packed flights home after the evacuations, holiday firms including Jet2, the UK’s biggest tour operator, announced they would be cancelling services to Rhodes and would be sending empty planes to bring stranded tourists home. Airline easyJet said they would operate repatriation flights to bring home stranded British holidaymakers. Two rescue flights are scheduled on Monday and a third on Tuesday, they said. Greek authorities also told people in some parts of Corfu to evacuate due to further wildfires on Sunday evening. Around 19,000 people in total are reported to have been evacuated from Rhodes, the largest of Greece’s Dodecanese islands, which has a local population of about 115,000. Becky Mulligan, a 29-year-old training manager from Leicester, was staying at the Princess Sun Hotel in the Kiotari resort on Rhodes’s southeast coast when she, her five-year-old daughter, and sister, 20, were forced to quickly pack their bags and flee as the sky turned “orange”. “Smoke started coming up against the window of the hotel so we decided to run,” she told The Independent. “There were helicopters hovering above making the whole building shake. “We ended up legging it down a dirt track as the smoke came up around our legs. I thought I was going to die. It was like hell on earth.” Ms Mulligan and her family were forced to seek refuge on the beach as they waited for coaches to come and pick them up, which she described as the “most scary point”. She said hundreds of people were waiting to be evacuated with grown adults “basically trampling on children to get to the buses”. The trio was then taken to Gennadi Grande resort and from there bussed to another location, where they were forced to spend Saturday night on the floor of a hotel room. On Sunday morning they managed to escape safely, sharing a taxi with another family to the airport where their flight back to the UK was due to depart after 11pm. Dan Jones, a sports teacher from Torquay, Devon, said he had to climb onto a fishing trawler with his sons on Saturday night, describing it as “the scariest moment in my entire life”, adding: “What brave boys.” Ian Wakefield told Times Radio he spent the night in a school playground in Faliraki after being evacuated from his hotel in Pefki. He said: “It didn’t really feel real – being in imminent danger of being burned to death. Between midnight and around 5am this morning we were going through an evacuation which was pretty chaotic. “There were a lot of upset people and children who were understandably quite hysterical. It was all very confusing – the instructions from the hotel manager were unclear. “You had to make your own choice in the end. I’ve had to leave quite a lot of luggage in the hotel.” As fire crews struggled to contain the blazes and thick black smoke continued billowing into the sky, British holiday firms began cancelling flights to Rhodes, although some planes touched down on the island on Saturday night and early on Sunday morning despite the emergency. Jet2 Holidays cancelled all flights to the island until 30 July and said it would send empty planes to bring stranded Britons home, while Tui said it would cancel all flights and holidays until Tuesday. Thomas Cook later announced it had cancelled all holidays to Kiotari and Lardos – the areas of the island most at risk – until 31 July and would be in touch with customers to arrange “swift refunds”. It has also offered full refunds to customers due to depart for other parts of the island on Sunday and Monday who wish to cancel their trip. But some holidaymakers suggested that operators should have cancelled flights to the island sooner. Lowri Jones from Crymych, Pembrokeshire, Wales, described scenes of “chaos” at Rhodes Airport when she arrived there on Saturday night. The mother of one, 52, travelled to the Greek island with her thirteen year-old-daughter for a holiday. “It was absolute pandemonium at the airport, with long queues of people trying to find out what coach they were,” she told The Independent. “We booked with Tui and there has been very little communication from them. “We had been due to stay at the Atlantica Dreams hotel in Gennadi but were driven – without warning – to a completely different resort in the north of the island due to the wildfires.” She added: “Me and my daughter ended up spending the night on the floor with other people in a room with no air conditioning in sweltering heat – it was horrible. “To be honest, I don’t think we should have even been there in the first place. The flight was delayed because the pilot had to do a risk assessment to see if it was safe to land because of the fires. “Tui should have told us it wasn’t safe and given us a refund – at least that way I could have made a decision about booking somewhere else. Now I’m stranded in Rhodes and having to look at booking flights home.” A spokesperson for Tui said it is continuing to monitor the wildfires and appreciated the “distressing and difficult” situation for its customers. Anyone who remains in Rhodes is urged “follow the advice of the local authorities who are managing tourist movements in impacted areas,” they said. Britain’s ambassador to Greece said the Foreign Office had sent a “rapid deployment team” to help UK tourists who were among thousands forced to flee for their lives on Saturday as the wildfire spread. Read More ‘It was hell on earth’: British tourists describe fleeing Rhodes wildfire inferno Rhodes wildfire: How are British travel companies responding to the emergency? Corfu evacuations begin as fleeing Rhodes tourists spend second night in airport Holidays and flights to Greek island ravaged by fire cancelled UK airlines still selling tickets to Rhodes despite wildfire inferno Greece: Smoke turns Rhodes sky grey and hazy as wildfires continue to rage
2023-07-24 15:58

Unsealed documents detail how authorities justified the raid of a Kansas newspaper
Newly unsealed court records provide insight into how law enforcement justified a highly unusual raid of the office of a Marion, Kansas, newspaper -- a decision that has drawn widespread condemnation from news organizations and press freedom advocates.
2023-09-01 01:16

Can Apple make us love virtual reality? | You Ask The Questions
Apple has announced a new virtual reality headset, the Vision Pro, which allows people to project any image into the space around them, from widescreen movies to emails. The Vision Pro's USP is that these images remain in your real life landscape, as opposed to sweeping you entirely from your surroundings - so you're less likely to bump into the kitchen table when you're exploring Apple's augmented world. So far virtual reality headsets have failed to hit the mainstream, does Apple have what it takes to make these often nausea-inducing neck strains user-friendly? Sign up for our newsletters.
2023-06-10 00:17

Fears over Uganda's anti-gay law threaten HIV progress
At a mostly empty clinic catering to HIV patients, staff monitor CCTV footage for potential spies, reflecting the fear among Ugandan health workers following the...
2023-10-09 18:16

We Found 26 Pairs Of The Best Chunky Loafers For Fall
We’ve noticed that the traditionally streamlined and fastidious loafer has gotten a little, well, chunky lately. While WFH-ing, it seems that the type-A footwear favored by professionals found time to really let loose — resulting in a new swole look that’s earned a coveted spot on our style wish lists.
2023-08-22 04:57
You Might Like...

Walmart+ members can score $70 off the Xbox Series S bundle right before Prime Day

Woman forced to stay at home at Christmas because the smell of mince pies ‘could kill her’

Charli D'Amelio: Here are 5 tips to help you stay in shape like TikTok star

Italian circus says escaped lion posed no risk

Ulta Beauty Announces 2023 MUSE Accelerator Cohort

HSBC Pledges India Wealth Commitment Over Michelin Star Meal

15 of the best UC Berkeley courses you can take online for free

Elon Musk Plans to 'Deprecate' Twitter Circles