
China Allows French, German Citizens to Enter Visa Free
China will allow citizens from countries including France, Germany and Italy to enter the country without a visa
2023-11-24 17:55

EBay Drops as Quarterly Profit Outlook Misses Estimates
EBay Inc. dropped after projecting earnings in the current quarter that narrowly missed analysts’ estimates, suggesting the e-commerce
2023-07-27 04:47

Is snooping on your partner's phone ever OK?
Here’s a question: What would you do if your partner left their phone on the
2023-05-13 17:50

Texas abortion ban temporarily lifted for medical emergencies
Women in the US state with pregnancy complications will be exempted from the abortion ban, a judge rules.
2023-08-05 13:22

UK rescue flights for tourists fleeing ‘out of control’ wildfires in Rhodes and Corfu
UK airlines are scrambling evacuation flights to the wildfire-ravage islands of Rhodes and Corfu where up to 10,000 British tourists are stranded in a “living nightmare” as a fresh red alert is issued for Crete. The two biggest holiday firms Tui and Jet2 have axed all flights to the island in the coming days after holidaymakers forced to flee their hotels had to sleep on floors in schools, airports and sports centres – but other firms, including Ryanair, Thomas Cook and easyJet continue to fly tourists who want to travel to Rhodes. The popular destination of Crete was also placed under an “extreme” fire warning on Monday, with Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis telling parliament it must “be on constant alert” in the weeks ahead. He declared his country to be “at war” with the blazes and warned of three more “difficult days” before the extreme heat eases. “The climate crisis is already here, it will manifest itself everywhere in the Mediterranean with greater disasters,” Mr Mitsotakis said, just a week after multiple infernos ignited near Athens, destroying homes and businesses, and days after temperatures hit 45C. Prime minister Rishi Sunak urged holidaymakers to remain in touch with tour operators but the Foreign Office has so far not discouraged Britons from travelling to Greece. Urging the UK government to “get a grip”, Lib Dem MP Layla Moran hit out Tory ministers’ “inaction” as she warned current advice was leaving families unable to claim on their insurance to “[pay] the penalty for deciding not to fly out” to Rhodes. More than 2,000 holidaymakers have so far been repatriated in what was described as the largest evacuation in Greek history, with more flights due on Tuesday as Rhodes’ deputy mayor warned the fires remained “out of control” seven days after flaring into life. Helen Tonks, a mother-of-six from Cheshire, accused travel firm Tui of flying her into “living nightmare” on Saturday night, as she told The Sun of landing in Rhodes only to be informed that her hotel had already burned down. The firm has now cancelled all flights to the island until Saturday. Claire Jones, a 36-year-old from Leicestershire on a honeymoon with her new husband Paul was evacuated by coach over the weekend in a “traumatic” journey as fled their hotels on foot carrying babies and small children, with some reporting walking for 10 miles in searing heat. Upgrading the fire risk in Crete to the highest warning level on Monday, Greek authorities also put swathes of the country under notice of a “very high fire risk”, including Athens, the Peloponnese, Karpathos, Kalymnos and Kos. While authorities have suggested the Corfu blazes may be a result of arson, the UK’s former chief scientific advisor Sir David King warned on Monday that the millions of British tourists planning Mediterranean holidays this summer should take Greece as “a big, big warning”. Lamenting that “many people will die from heat stress” due to the relentless heatwaves scorching southern Europe, Sir David said he had “no doubt” that the extreme temperatures are due to melting ice in the Arctic caused by human-led climate breakdown. Temperatures in Rhodes were forecast to climb as high as 40C by Wednesday, as Greece faces its longest heatwave on record. The EU’s civil protection agency has deployed some 450 firefighters and seven planes from Bulgari, Croatia, Cyprus, France, Italy, Malta, Poland, Romania, and Slovakia. But the travel industry appeared to be preparing the ground for a restart in tourism in some of the unaffected areas. A spokesperson for Abta, the travel association, said: “We understand that some of the resorts have had their evacuation order removed by the Greek authorities and people have been advised that they can return to the resorts of Lindos, Pefkos and Kalathos. “Travel companies will be liaising with their accommodation providers to ensure that they are ready to receive customers and customers will be notified accordingly.” Chris Elworthy, a 42-year-old farmer from Faversham in Kent, said he had been left £10,000 out of pocket after his easyJet flights to reach a private villa in Pefkos with his wife and two children were cancelled. “We are now £10,000 out of pocket; easyJet is not helping at all with a flight, despite having promised on Twitter that they would provide a voucher or another flight ... 24 hours later they have done nothing,” he said. “The villa is refusing to refund us, and the holiday insurance is saying that we’re not covered because we didn’t have the additional natural disaster cover on top of the ordinary cover.” Dan Jones, a sports teacher from Torquay, had to climb onto a fishing trawler with his sons to escape the raging fires on Saturday night, describing it as “the scariest moment” in his life and adding: “What brave boys.” Estimating that between 7,000 and 10,000 British tourists were on Rhodes due to it being peak holiday season, Foreign Office minister Andrew Mitchell told LBC that reports of holiday company reps seeming “to have gone missing” was “a deplorable state of affairs” which the government would investigate. But he defended the lack of advice against travelling to Rhodes, saying the fact “that only 10 per cent of the island is affected by these fires” meant tour operators were “best placed to give guidance on whether or not a family or individual’s holidays are going to be ruined by these events”. Downing Street defended not discouraging people from travelling to Rhodes, despite sending a team to help holidaymakers affected by the fires. The PM’s official spokesman said: “The current situation is impacting on a limited area in Rhodes and whilst it’s right to keep it under review and it’s possible that the advice may change we do not want to act out of proportion to the situation on the ground.” There are “not currently” plans to get the RAF to help people leave, he added. Read More Wildfires: Is it safe to travel to Greece right now? Family £10,000 out of pocket after Rhodes holiday ruined by wildfires How long will the wildfires last in Greece? ‘Trauma’ for couple on honeymoon who fled Rhodes fires amid screams and smoke
2023-07-25 02:21

What the New UK Alcohol Duties Mean for Your £10 Bottle of Wine
You would expect a £10 ($13) bottle of wine to be a little better than a £7 bottle.
2023-08-01 18:51

Wordle today: Here's the answer and hints for November 2
You're nearly there! Just one more sleep and two more Wordles to go until the
2023-11-02 10:51

Worker dies in European heatwave as warnings issued to tourists – with temperatures to reach extreme levels
Much of Southern Europe is sweltering under an extreme heatwave pushing temperatures well past 40C – with Italy reporting the death of a street sign painter who collapsed working in the heat. The 44-year-old worker collapsed while on the job in the northern town of Lodi on Tuesday. He was rushed to hospital but doctors were unable to revive him, according to local media. It comes as nations across Southern Europe issued warnings to both residents and tourists, as millions of holidaymakers head off for their holidays on the Mediterranean. Temperatures could spike as high as 45C to 48C in parts of Sicily and Sardinia in Italy and Cordoba and Seville before the week is out. Temperatures are also starting to tick up in Greece, where a heat wave was forecast to reach up to 44C in some parts of the country in the coming days. The heatwave was named "Cerberus" after the three-headed monster dog in Greek mythology which guards the gates of the underworld. Ruben del Campo, of Aemet, the Spanish state meteorological agency, said: “In some points of the south the temperatures will reach 44C on Wednesday. More than 100 weather stations registered temperatures of at least 35C as early as 6am on Wednesday. “In general, in Andalusia, temperatures will be above 40C. The heat will be suffocating in Cordoba and Granada and areas of the Costa del Sol”. He added: “At night temperatures will not fall below 25C in Granada, Almeria, Seville and Las Palmas in the Canary Islands.” Mr Del Campo added that from Thursday temperatures would fall in the Balearic Islands and east of the country but not in the south and west of Spain. Cristina Linares, co-director of climate, health, and urban environment at the Carlos III Institute of Health in Madrid, proposed using libraries, health centres, churches and public transport as air-conditioned places which can be used by the elderly, pregnant women and those with breathing problems as temperatures soar. In Italy, 10 cities were put on high heat alert for older people and other vulnerable populations from Bolzano in the north extending southward to Bologna, Florence and Rome. Ms Linares also warned tourists to avoid heavy drinking in the heat. “People who are not used to living in hot countries should also be warned against heavy drinking of alcohol during heat waves,” she told The Independent. But some appeared happy to disregard that advice. Jack, 13, a British schoolboy who lives in Barcelona, started selling drinks on the beach with friends. “Most people seem to want cold water and beer but I am not allowed to sell beer. We have done well. I made €7,” he said. Many homes in Spain battened down the hatches against the heat, with all windows and shutters closed during the day. In Cádiz, in southern Spain, police used air-conditioning units which were seized in raids on drug factories and installed them in public schools, which are used in summer for children’s camps. If tourists struggle with the scorching heat during the day, trying to get to sleep at night with tropical temperatures over 25C in many parts of Spain will not be easy. Spain’s state-run RTVE television ran a report advising people on the tricks to sleep properly during a heat wave. “Sleep near a window, wear little in the way of clothes, drink as much as you can and if you still cannot sleep put on the air conditioning,” the reporter told viewers. In Greece, authorities banned access to nature reserves and forests to reduce the risk of wildfires, while municipalities were opening air-conditioned areas in public buildings for people to shelter from the heat. The country's agriculture ministry also issued restrictions on the transportation and working hours of animals such as horses and donkeys offering rides in tourist areas during the heat wave. Working animals will not be allowed to work between noon and 5pm on days where temperatures are between 35C to 39C in the shade, while they will not be allowed to work at any time of the day when temperatures exceed that range. Extreme heatwaves contributed to more than 60,000 deaths in Europe in 2022, according to a report issued earlier this week. The study, conducted by the Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) and published in the journal Nature Medicine, estimated that 61,672 deaths were caused by extreme heat in Europe between 30 May and 4 September 2022. The highest temperature in European history was recorded in Syracuse, in Sicily in August 2021 at 48.8C. Read More G7 countries sign joint declaration in support of Ukraine at Nato summit Spain sweats out sultry nights as heat wave bakes southern Europe ‘You belong in Nato’ Rishi Sunak tells Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelensky Argentina turns its attention to youth divisions in search of a Messi-like player in women's soccer Red Hot Chili Peppers and Ms. Lauryn Hill will headline Global Citizen Festival to fight inequality With player stylists and Gucci collabs, MLB eyes a fresh look with younger fans
2023-07-12 22:24

Penn Badgley confirms Season 5 will be the last of 'You'
It's official! You Season 5 is going to be the last installment in the Joe-verse.
2023-06-18 05:19

Lisa Rinna trolled for looking super skinny in tiny $150 bikini from Khloe Kardashian's clothing line Good American
Lisa Rinna donned a metallic gold bikini while posing at her Beverly Hills home
2023-06-26 08:51

‘We’ve changed history!’ Myleene Klass celebrates as government pledge more miscarriage support
Myleene Klass has celebrated “changing history” after the government announced plans to better support women who miscarry while pregnant. For the last four years, the former Hear’Say singer has been backing changes to the Women’s Health Strategy in Parliament. This included a call to ensure women will not have to suffer up to three miscarriages before receiving help – an issue sensitive to Klass due to her personal experience with miscarriage. On Saturday (22 July), the Department of Health and Social Care announced a package of new measures to "boost the health and wellbeing of women and girls", including a pilot scheme that will see medical intervention for women after every miscarriage. As the pledge was made, Klass, 45, shared a picture to Instagram of herself and Labour MP Olivia Blake stood outside the Houses of Parliament celebrating the win. In the photo, Klass is wearing a yellow power suit while Black wears a floral dress, with the two campaigners holding signs that read “we did it” and “miscarriage matters”. “WE DID IT!!!!” the I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! star captioned her lengthy post. “We have changed the law and therein, history! The world is officially a better place for women and their families because we never gave up. “I met @oliviablake_mp filming my Bafta nominated Miscarriage documentary. We were both battered and bruised from our MC experiences but from that moment we joined forces and I became a campaigner for change to Miscarriage law and women’s health care.” She continued: “Women’s health has always been a contentious, almost invisible issue. Miscarriage is the final taboo, dismissed as ‘one of those things’ or ‘it wasn’t meant to be’. I now know that not to be the case. Change has to come from the top, from Government. Who knew our wombs are owned by Westminster?!” Klass then explained what the new law meant and how baby loss charity Tommy’s would be helping going forward. This includes more support for those experiencing miscarriage, retraining medical staff to handle the issue and updated guidelines for the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. “That’s the official line,” she continued, “The personal side of this is 4 miscarriages along, pouring the heartache and frustration into fierce campaigning HAS WORKED. We have changed the future for so many mothers to be and babies to come. “This will all take time, but it’s officially confirmed and will be actioned… I wanted my children to see their mother turn her pain into power and the babies I never got to hold, to know they chose a mother who would fight to have their voices somehow heard. I never dreamed those voices would resonate into the history books and their legacy would be the most powerful of all, real change.” The changes come after a published pregnancy loss review, which looked at improving NHS gynaecology and maternity care. Minister for women’s health Maria Caulfield said: “Our work continues to support women through the agony of pregnancy loss… We will keep working and investing so girls and women across the country can benefit from the world-class healthcare they deserve.” Earlier this month, Klass had spoken out defiantly in support of the proposed changes to the law, saying that the government did not “deserve power” if it failed to implement them. “A health secretary and a health department and a government that doesn’t look after the people, that is in a position and empowered to do so, doesn’t deserve to hold [onto] that power,” she said. Read More Tim Shaddock rescue: Ben Fogle offers to pay for Australian sailor and dog to be reunited after emotional separation Fans defend Prince Harry and Meghan Markle amid breakup rumours Father sparks outrage for calling son ‘spoiled’ after 23-year-old said he can’t throw wedding for under $7,000 Myleene Klass: Government does not deserve power if miscarriage policy unchanged Researchers warn after 25 types of toxic flame retardant found in human breast milk Amy Dowden announces absence from Strictly Come Dancing due to chemotherapy
2023-07-23 16:57

How to watch the 2023 World Athletics Road Running Championships online for free
TL;DR: BBC Sport is offering live coverage of the World Athletics Road Running Championships on
2023-09-30 12:49
You Might Like...

Republican-appointed federal judges grill FDA in mifepristone hearing

Fake Bitcoin ETF news pumps price to $30,000

Is it India? Is it Bharat? Speculations abound as government pushes for the country’s Sanskrit name

The Fire 11 Max is exclusively on sale for less than $150 for Prime Day

Netflix is cracking down on password sharing, but you can get around it

The 25 best documentaries on Disney+

Luxury Watches Worth £1 Billion Reported Missing in Theft Surge

Splash out for this heritage tomato, fennel and dukkah salad