
Lewis Hamilton and George Russell collide as Max Verstappen claims pole
Lewis Hamilton collided with Mercedes team-mate George Russell as Max Verstappen raced to pole position for Sunday’s Spanish Grand Prix. Hamilton will start fifth following a bizarre coming together with Russell, who lines up in 12th, at the end of Q2 at Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya. Verstappen finished four tenths clear of Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz, with Lando Norris an impressive third for McLaren. Pierre Gasly took fourth spot for Alpine, one place ahead of Hamilton, who was half-a-second back, with home favourite Fernando Alonso only ninth in his Aston Martin. Hamilton had to take on a replacement front wing for Q3 after he made contact with Russell in the closing stages of Q2. With both Mercedes men starting their hot laps, Hamilton moved out of Russell’s tow at 210mph on the main straight. But the seven-time world champion was forced to take to the grass after his team-mate, who was making his way past Sainz’s Ferrari, unintentionally, closed the door on him. Hamilton kicked up dirt from the grass as part of his front wing flew off his Mercedes. “George just backed off,” said Hamilton over the radio. “That is really dangerous. I might have some damage on the car.” Although Hamilton’s time was good enough to progress to Q3, Russell was eliminated in 12th. “You didn’t tell me there was a car behind,” said Russell. “I don’t know what the hell was going on in this session. The car was bouncing. I couldn’t get my tyres working. Russell will start one place behind Perez after the Red Bull driver also failed to make it out of Q2. Perez is Verstappen’s closest challenger in the championship but a week on from his horror show in Monaco where he finished 16th and two laps down, he qualified only 11th here. The Mexican ran through the gravel and, although he managed to keep his Red Bull out of the wall, his next lap was not quick enough to carry him through to Q3. “Unbelievable,” said Perez. On an afternoon of shock results, Charles Leclerc, who started this race from pole position last year, will line last but one on the grid. Leclerc complained about the rear of his Ferrari and finished above only Williams rookie Logan Sargeant in the order. “I don’t have the answers for now,” said Leclerc following his early bath. “The only thing I can say is the left-hand corners were undriveable.” Q1 was suspended by nine minutes following multiple spins on a track drying out after earlier rain. Alex Albon, Nyck de Vries, Yuki Tsunoda and Valtteri Bottas all ran off the road, and with gravel on the asphalt, race director Niels Wittich red-flagged the session. Read More Charity boss speaks out over ‘traumatic’ encounter with royal aide Ukraine war’s heaviest fight rages in east - follow live Max Verstappen tops rain-hit final practice for Spanish Grand Prix Lewis Hamilton toils in 12th as Max Verstappen and Red Bull dominate in Spain Fernando Alonso: Hamilton can win eighth title but Verstappen can break records
2023-06-03 23:54

Fukushima residents react cautiously after start of treated water release from wrecked nuclear plant
Fish auction prices at a port south of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant have dropped amid uncertainty about how consumers may respond a day after treated and diluted radioactive wastewater began to be released into the sea
2023-08-26 13:27

16 of the best Squarespace templates for blogs, portfolios, stores, and beyond
EDITOR'S NOTE: Mashable readers can save 10% on new Squarespace plans with the coupon code
2023-06-01 17:46

The 10 Best PC Cases of Computex 2023
If there's anything you can count on at the Computex trade show, it's custom-built desktop
2023-06-03 15:26

Anchor Brewing halting operations after 127 years citing faltering sales, tough economic conditions
San Francisco’s 127-year-old Anchor Brewing Co. will shut down after years of declining sales, citing tough economic conditions
2023-07-12 23:46

The best dating sites and apps for seniors
This content originally appeared on Mashable for a US audience and has been adapted for
2023-09-07 18:47

Violins in the sun: Stradivari's home workshop reopens in Italy
For over three centuries, music lovers the world over have been trying to unlock the secrets of Antonio...
2023-07-06 00:24

AdultFriendFinder is a borderline-porn hookup site that's stuck in the past
Moving to a new city or working at a new job where you don't know
2023-08-01 17:49

Shop The Bags And Shoes We Love From Mansur Gavriel’s Up-To-50%-Off Summer Sale
Calling all shoppers! Mansur Gavriel isn’t leaving any room for summertime sadness to seep in, instead giving us one last hurrah to look forward to in the form of its end-of-summer sale, with the luxe brand offering up to 50% off items like its beloved bucket bags, frame bags, totes, shoes, and more. Discounts on Mansur Gavriel’s best-selling bucket bags and other popular accessories don’t come around often, so now’s the time to shop the fashionable clutch or mules you’ve been eyeing for what feels like forever. The Mansur Gavriel sale only runs until September 5th, so take a gander at the must-have selections we’ve picked for you below and enjoy the Labor Day weekend in style.
2023-08-23 05:21

Lewis Hamilton claims many more cars were illegal at United States Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton has claimed there were multiple drivers who should have been disqualified from last weekend’s United States Grand Prix for running an illegal car. Hamilton was stripped of his second place after the floor on his upgraded Mercedes failed a post-race scrutineering check. Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc, who finished sixth, was also kicked out of the classification for an identical breach. But Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, who claimed his 15th win of the season, and the McLaren of Lando Norris, elevated to second following Hamilton’s penalty, were both cleared of any wrongdoing. However, speaking ahead of this weekend’s race in Mexico City, Hamilton said: “I heard from several sources that there were a lot of other cars that were illegal and they were not tested so they got away with it. “I have been racing here for 16 years and there have been many other scenarios like this where some people have got away with it, and some have been unlucky and have been tested.” Hamilton said the sprint format in Austin – which allowed for just one hour of practice before parc ferme rules heavily constrict changes to the cars – coupled with the bumpy nature of the Circuit of the Americas were behind his disqualification. Limited FIA resources means the governing body checks only a handful of cars after a race, and the selections are based on oscillation data. But Hamilton continued: “There needs to be a better structure to make sure it is fair and even across the board. “We have never had that problem in Austin before, and is because we had a sprint race. An easy fix is that we should be able to change the floors. “The car should not be set from Friday morning especially at the bumpiest track on the calendar. “That is the only reason there were failures. And that reason wasn’t why we were as fast as we were. We hope we have another strong weekend here.” Hamilton finished just 2.2 seconds behind Verstappen in his most competitive race of the season – one he believed he could have won if Mercedes did not fluff their strategy lines. “I had just come out the press conference and I was about to get into the ice tub when (team principal) Toto (Wolff) came running down and told me,” added Hamilton. “It was devastating because it was such a great day and a great race. I was deflated, but there are lots of positives to take from it.” Read More Max Verstappen beefs up security in preparation for hostile reception in Mexico On this day in 2015: Lewis Hamilton crowned F1 world champion for third time Mercedes ‘need to take Lewis Hamilton’s disqualification on the chin’ Max Verstappen defies Lewis Hamilton to edge United States Grand Prix victory I can do something wiser with my time – George Russell stops using social media Charles Leclerc snatches pole position after Max Verstappen’s lap was deleted
2023-10-27 06:20

‘I would not be shocked if King Charles showed up’: Las Vegas opens its doors to Formula 1
Las Vegas opens its doors to Formula 1 this week ahead of the inaugural race on the city strip – and anticipation is at fever pitch. After more than three years of planning and $500m spent on a state-of-the-art pit building facility, F1 is on the cusp of its ultimate moment in the American spotlight in the entertainment capital of the world. While the penultimate race of the 2023 season won’t have an impact at the top of the world championship standings, with Max Verstappen having already claimed the title last month in Qatar, the third US race of the year will be unique in the fact it takes place on Saturday night at 10pm local time (6am GMT, Sunday morning). There is also a lavish opening ceremony, planned for Wednesday evening. Former American racing driver Willy T Ribbs – who made history by becoming the first Black man to test an F1 car in 1986 – insists it will be the biggest race “in racing history.” “It is going to be mega – I would not be shocked if King Charles showed up,” Ribbs told The Independent. “I would not be shocked because the A-list is going to be insane. You’re going to be bumping into more celebrities and sports stars than you will fans. “Without any hyperbole, it will be the biggest race in racing history. That encompasses everything – the most talked about and the most glamorous. If you look at Las Vegas, it has a history of putting on the biggest event – whether it’s a boxing fight or an NFL game.” It is a huge week for Formula 1 who, unusually, is promoting the event themselves as opposed to outsourcing the promotion. F1 has a 10-year deal with Las Vegas for a race in Sin City, on the assumption all goes smoothly this week. However, preparations have not been plain sailing, with disruption in the city due to the mammoth construction projects leading to some anger among locals and tourists in recent months. But ultimately, F1 is confident the race will bring in more than $1 billion for local enterprises. “We’re going to bring in something like $1.7 billion of revenue to the area,” said Greg Maffei, CEO of F1’s parent company Liberty Media. “I want to apologise to all the Las Vegas residents and we appreciate that they have their forbearance and their willingness to tolerate us. “It’s not just for the benefit of fans who want to view. We hope this is a great economic benefit in Las Vegas. We hope this is the most difficult year with all the construction that went on and things will be easier in the future. “There will be 105,000 people so the sheer scale of it, even for Las Vegas, will be the largest event Las Vegas will have,” Temperatures are expected to drop to around 12C during sections of the race weekend, presenting a different challenge to the norm for the drivers and teams. There is also the possibility of rain for qualifying on Friday night. LAS VEGAS GRAND PRIX - SCHEDULE Friday 17 November Free practice 1 - 4:30am Free practice 2 - 8am Saturday 18 November Free practice 3 - 4:30am Qualifying - 8am Sunday 19 November Race - 6am All times GMT F1 has raced in Vegas before, in the parking lot of the Caesars Palace hotel in 1981 and 1982. Yet this event, twisting around the city’s famous landmarks including the Bellagio Fountains and the new Sphere building, should take the razzmatazz up to the next level. “Vegas is all about show. When the drivers get on the track they’re going to put on a show,” Ribbs added. “For Max, he might have won the world championship – but he still has races to win. And he hasn’t won the most races in the history of F1, so there’s the incentive. It’s also just seeing who can knock him off. “Who’s going to be the team and the driver to win the first Las Vegas Grand Prix? If I was the promoter, that’s how I’d be promoting it. If I was talking to the drivers in the drivers’ meeting, that would be my message. The championship is decided, but you guys go knock it out anyway and put on the best show for the fans and for TV. “I think Vegas will knock it out of the park – and take Formula 1 in this country to the next level.” Read More F1 2023 season race schedule: When is the Las Vegas Grand Prix? Michael Schumacher fans set for rare insight into F1 legend’s life in new documentary F1 boss urges teams to improve and close gap after Max Verstappen dominance Martin Brundle predicts F1 sprint change to produce ‘thrilling’ Saturdays in 2024 Machine Gun Kelly defends bizarre clash with F1 presenter at Brazilian Grand Prix Las Vegas hospitality workers’ strike poised to derail F1 race
2023-11-13 18:54

Get two 3-in-1 iPhone, AirPods, and Apple Watch chargers for $25
TL;DR: As of October 29, get this 3-in-1 Apple Watch, AirPods & iPhone Charging Cable
2023-10-29 17:15
You Might Like...

Uncrustables Are Expensive, Ultraprocessed and Flying Out of Freezers

NYT Connections today: See hints and answers for October 5

Vietnam Air inks $7.8 billion deal for Boeing 737 max planes, White House says

Travel Lovers May Now Save Time and Money with Premium Subscription Bundle from The Weather Channel and Travel + Leisure GO

Why advertisers in Canada are pulling out of Instagram and Facebook

German brewery has high hops for powdered beer

College students are still struggling with basic math. Professors blame the pandemic

Hugh Jackman bemuses fans after sharing his ‘criminal’ cheat meal